January 31, 2008

Love is patient, love is kind. . .

I Corinthians 13:4-8 was the passage we chose to put on our wedding programs nearly nine years ago. At the time, I mainly viewed those verses in light of loving my then to-be husband. How interesting that it has now come to be a major theme for how I need to love my son! "Love is patient, love is kind. . . " has become my constant mantra ever since my baby boy turned into a rambunctious toddler. When I ask him several times not to do something and he still does it, I need to tell myself that "love is patient, love is kind." When I ask him to actually do something and he chooses to just sit there, I need to remind myself that "love is patient, love is kind." See what I mean?

It's funny because I love my son to death! I know I would willingly die for him, yet I struggle with the duty of living to serve him in love. I know this is because I have failed to walk by the Spirit. When I am walking in the flesh, my love for my son is weak and shallow. I am easily annoyed and offended. I am angry and impatient. I probably can't even call it love in the biblical sense. But when I walk in the Spirit, what a difference! I am able to love my son with the love of God, for it is only by God's grace that I can then have a love that is both patient and kind. More and more, I am seeing how important the ministry of the Spirit is in the lives of believers. Truly we can do nothing apart from Him!

3 comments:

MamaBoncx said...

Jean, just recently I was reminded of how my prayers for my attitude towards my littles ones had to change. Before I kept prayer for patience towards my kids. Boy did God use that to teach me how impatient I am! Then one day, one of the older ladies in our church lovingly corrected me. "Oh sweetie," she says, "don't pray for patience. Then you'll just be tested. Rather pray for love because love covers a multitude of sins!" From then on, when my children show their defiance, I immediately pray for love. Then God, in His wonderful way, graciously gives me a Spirit filled love for my babies. Then I can approach them in a biblical way rather than my own sinful way.

Jean M said...

Thanks for that, Chone. Love trumps all, doesn't it?!

Anonymous said...

Amen to Chone's comment. I am constantly reminding myself/preaching to myself that I love these kids and they were "gifts" to me. Thanks for the encouraging words Jean and a reminder to all of us in the trenches that God's faithful spirit empowers us to love and demonstrate love toward these little ones in our lives.