"As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field."
Today, I attended the funeral service of a man from our church. He was 35. I've been to a number of funerals over the years, and like them, this one effectively drove home the point that "life is a vapor." (James 4:14) Today's funeral, however, was particularly impacting because of the fact that this man was my peer--I am only a year older than he was. He was in the very prime of his life, living as a husband to a loving wife and the father of four young children. It is a praise to know that this man trusted Christ as his Lord and Savior. Otherwise, it would be so easy to despair!
I was deeply encouraged by the passage our pastor turned to at this time: "O death, where is your victory. O death, where is your sting?" (I Corinithians 15:55) He gave the timely reminder that Christ has overcome death, and that we who believe in Him experience victory over death even when we die, because rather than face judgment for our sins, we are immediately ushered into His presence. What an assurance believers can have!
In light of this event, I find myself encouraged to do as the psalmist in Psalm 90:12 prayed: "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." How brief life is! How fleeting! How important it is to make sure we are living it in the best way possible!
"Only one life, 'twill soon be past,
only what's done for Christ will last."
C.T. Studd
This challenges me every day as I think...Am I living as I should? Am I living for the one who died for me? So despite how sobering the subject of death is, I am grateful for the way it cuts right through to the heart of the matter. All men die, but not all men live. And if I'm not living for Christ, I'm not really living at all! (Romans 14:8) After all, it was Jesus who said, "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." (John 10:10) So as I step out today into the warm sunshine of a beautiful spring afternoon, I will bear this promise in mind with a thankful heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment