November 3, 2012

Memories of Hawaii

It's been nearly two months since our vacation to Maui and Oahu.  Normally, I am eager to share my photos from such fun, relaxing times, but this vacation was significantly different.  You see, while we were reveling in the beauty of a tropical isle, back home tragedy had struck.  A member from our church, someone I'd known for quite some time, was shot and killed in the line of duty.  He was a husband, a father of four, and a faithful servant at our church.  Needless to say, it was difficult to feel happy and light-hearted knowing that four children were suddenly without a father.  I had trouble sleeping the night I heard the news.  And for days afterward, I was distracted and feeling somewhat guilty.  How could I enjoy myself when others were hurting?  Then I remembered Ecclesiastes 3:1--the very verse my blog is based on.  "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." I was reminded that God has appointed every detail of our lives...a time to live and a time to die.  And all of us will have our times of triumph and tragedy.  I realized that Kenyon's death was a necessary reminder to cherish what God has appointed for us that day.  In light of this, I found a new appreciation for my precious family and vowed to cherish them while God allowed them in my life.  The same for my dear friends.  Once again, I was able to find enjoyment in God's creation with a grateful heart, having the assurance that Kenyon was enjoying himself in heaven even more.

~ Maui ~

 room with a view

 Doesn't this make you feel relaxed?

 The beautiful grounds of the Hyatt Regency.

 Ahh...lovely.

 Keiki pool

 with waterfall



black swan, taken for Holly & Izzy

 Leaving the beach for the valley



 Walking along Kaanapali Beach




Simply the best shaved ice!

 Lahaina at twilight







Giant banyan tree, one of the oldest around.


 Leoda's Pie Shop--yummy chocolate macadamia pies here!


 my little fish



 snorkeling with dad



 Going to our favorite breakfast place, the Gazebo Restaurant.

 Check out those clouds!

******************************

~ Oahu ~

 Met up with old friends at Hanauma Bay

Waikiki Beach

Waimanalo Beach


 The water is amazing here!

 Al & Billy boogie-boarding




Me & my little guy

 Paddle-boarding with Uncle George




Giovanni's Shrimp Truck--a must to hit up.

 Good grubbin'

 At the "Lost" beach.

Lots of turtles here.

 Dinner with good friends.
         
 My favorite hotel on Waikiki Beach, the Moana Surfrider.
My dream is to stay here one day.

 A great spot for people-watching.


 Waikiki at night.



Ko'olina Lagoons
Billy, Al, Mara & Andre

 Ohana


 Watching the sunset

Twilight...
then dusk.

3 comments:

michelle said...

What beautiful pictures!!! They are postcards from paradise. I very much enjoyed seeing you, Billy, Andre and dear old friends in Hawaii. I took your sentiments to heart… Life is fleeting on earth, which reminds us to hold close, our loved ones each and every day. God and heaven is our constant comfort. Love you Sydney!

P.S. Thank you for the Black Swan. Too cool!

MamaBoncx said...

Those were bittersweet days. The day we heard about Kenyon, it was all I could think about. I wanted to fly back home so badly but knew I couldn't. I'm so glad that God gave us time with you, Billy and Andre. Knowing that we needed a little bit of home, He brought a little bit of home to us. We're so very grateful for the days we had with you guys and look forward to more sunsets together.

Aloha! Ke Akua pu a hui hou!

Jean M said...

Chona,
It was such a joy spending time with the Boncatos. We were blessed by your company and are blessed by your friendship! Thank you for showing us around the island, taking some of our pictures, and introducing us to new and novel experiences. Our memories from Hawaii are all the richer because of them.