July 13, 2008

Camp Survival

We recently returned from my third camping trip ever (after swearing never to camp again after my second trip). And yes, I lived to tell the tale, even despite ominous mountain lion warnings! Although, to be honest with you, mountain lions were the least of my concerns. Actually, it wasn't so bad. It did help that my mom was staying at a nearby inn where I could escape for hot showers! This was Andre's second camping trip, and he loved it as much as he did the first time. This is part of the reason I hesitantly agreed to go once again. Camping is a little boy's dream it seems. They can play all day and get as dirty as possible! (Grimacing)

I must say that our camping site was at an exceptionally lovely location. The Mendocino Coast has a rustic, Pacific Northwestern beauty to it. It is a combination of rugged coastline and thickly forested pines, redwoods and cypresses dotted by older clapboard homes in quaint seaside villages. I really did enjoy the views and scenery. They were spectacular! So, the question remains, would I do it again? I guess one should never say never...

an actual threat

"Have tunes, will camp."

"Mama, what is that?"

Happy Campers!

Sam & Bonnie

Charis with my mom

Cora & Tati pretending to be Naomis

the lovely Da Costa kids & my little rascal

Mason & daddy

"Hmm, wonder what that could be?"

Ty the trailblazer

Sandy Sam

at the tide pools

7 comments:

michelle said...

Cute picture of you and Billy. (You didn’t unplug for the weekend?) Mama Mayeth is looking very pretty too. As for the rest of gang, specially the little ones, they are precious! Okay, I could’ve done without seeing the ICKY green thing! The sight of it makes me want to scream!!! Love the woods, love the ocean, love the inn, love everything! Wish I was there now.

Jean M said...

Just had to include this from an email that was sent to me:

Your camping trip looked fun but, boy, did it look like a lot of work and a lot of clean up to do when you got home. Did you ever figure out what kind of bug that was? I think I would've freaked out if I saw that green mutation of a snail, the ugliest bug I've ever seen. I loved where your mom stayed. The view was spectacular. I love the pictures of her and Andre. They have a sweet bond. So did you guys split from your growth group to shower at your mom's?

Kudos to you, Jean! The day I do an all out camping thing with tents and all is the day I walk around my house with dirty bare feet and don't care. ..j/k

Talk to you soon,

Love, Sone

Myra said...

Loved the photos....yes, a little boy's paradise; heaven for any kid actually! Looks like a lot of fun.

A and A said...

Good for you, Jean! I know camping must be challenging for moms ... still cleaning up your kid without the convenience of a bathtub nearby. We've gone camping before, but not since we've had kids. I would like to go again though for the same reason you went ... to see the kids have a blast.

michelle said...

Billy, Jean, & Andre

I like the picture with the green slug the most! Is it real? Did Andre touch it? Michelle has a hard time looking at that picture! Anyway, I would like to thank you for the card you sent me. I am both excited and nervous about grad school. But at least one obstacle is done... with many more to go! I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I hope all is well with you three.
take it easy & always take care...
Patrick

Billy said...

Hey Pat:

Oh yes they were real. We kept finding them around our camp site. We saw more of those than ants! Ha ha.

We will be praying for you both that you finish fast and well.

Take Care!

Billy

Billy said...

I must give major props to my wife. Anyone that knows her, knows that camping isn't exactly her cup of tea. With that being said, she got through like a trooper. She didn't complain once about the dirt...only that it was cold at night.

Thanks Sweetie for being a trooper and good sport! BTW...the drive home down the Hwy 1 was breathtaking!!!