I was reading Ezekiel 33 and was convicted by a dire warning that God gave to the prophet Ezekiel regarding the children of Israel. God was charging Ezekiel to be a faithful watchman over the house of Israel. Basically, the watchman was in charge of warning those in his care of any impending danger. God told Ezekiel that if a watchman did his duty and gave the proper warning, and the people did not heed the warning, the blood of the people would be on their own heads. However, if the watchman failed in his duty to provide a warning of danger to the people, the people's blood would be required at the watchman's hand! God was not merely concerned with the physical well-being of the people of Israel, He was concerned with the spiritual. He wanted the prophet Ezekiel to warn Israel to turn away from their sin and wickedness!
As I pondered this, it occurred to me that there was a parallel between Ezekiel's duty toward the children of Israel and my duty to my own child. God has sovereignly put me and his father in charge of our son's physical and spiritual well-being. We are charged to warn him against sin and wickedness. If we fail to do so (consider the priest Eli and his sons), the judgment is on us. But if we are faithful and he still fails to turn to God, it is not on us but on himself. Wow! How scary! So what do I conclude from this? First, that it is of utmost importance that I be dedicated to training up my child "in the fear and admonition of the Lord" (Eph. 6:4) and speak to him of God's statutes "when we sit in our house, when we walk by the way, when we lie down, and when we rise up." (Deut. 6:7) Secondly, I must diligently pray for my son's soul because his salvation is not dependent on our faithfulness but on God's alone. Only He can change our son's heart, and how I pray He would!! I am so thankful that God states in verse 11 of chapter 33, "As I live, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die. . . ?"
February 28, 2008
The Watchman
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is wonderfully encouraging, Jean. Hubby and I don't have little ones of our own yet, but one day. Coincidentally, I read in Psalms 130 this morning and verse 6 talks about watchmen...
: )
You are absolutely right, Jean. It's not easy to be a SAHM / watchman with the temptation of blogging, etc etc. Many times my son reminds me of my duty to him, and I also have a duty to my DH. I finally am doing my 'penance' of reading this book recommended to me by a priest: 'the proper care and feeding of husbands.' (author: Dr. Laura Schlessinger). At first I did not want to do it because I don't want to be influenced by someone I don't know. So far, after a few pages, it seems good. And tonight I made soup for dinner, Julian ate better food today as well.
God Bless.
jeannie
Praise God for His instructions and loving admonitions. . . Glad you were encouraged and edified as I was.
Post a Comment