November 22, 2011

Advent Calendar Tutorial

At the request of a friend, here is an explanation of how I made the advent calendar I posted about just a few days ago.

Backing:  This was made out of foam board that I bought from Michael's, which was no more than a few bucks, $3-4.  I wrapped it in gift wrapping paper.  Make sure it is thick, high quality paper!  You could probably even use wallpaper or lining paper if you happen to have some lying around and it has a suitable pattern/color. By the way, I sprayed the foam board with adhesive spray before laying the wrapping paper on top.  Be careful when you do this because you don't want your paper to end up crooked or wrinkled.

Boxes:  These I also got from Michael's, though they might be cheaper if you bought them in bulk from somewhere else.  Be sure you measure the size of your board backing so that all the boxes fit.  Before gluing the boxes onto the board, I laid them out to get an idea of how it should look.  Then I glued the bottoms of the boxes and stuck them onto the board.

Decor:  Now comes the fun part.  Because this is your advent calendar, you can choose any design or theme you want!  I went eclectic, though the color scheme kept mine cohesive.  You may decide to do a snowman theme or bible theme.  As for materials, I used whatever I already had on hand--scraps of paper, ribbon, stickers, stamps, etc.  I supplied the rest with free printables I found online--the internet is an amazing resource!  One other thing I didn't do, but plan to later on is punch two holes at the top of the board and tie a ribbon to it so I can hang it up.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  Happy creating!!

No comments: