May 8, 2008

The Itsy Bitsy Spider


It's a little unnerving but we've been finding quite a number of spiders around the house lately. Andre has no fear of them and has no problems playing with them either! One evening, I pointed out a spider to Billy. He detests them. He was once bitten by a spider and the bite became infected. He now has a scar from where the doctor had to use a scalpel to drain the bite. Anyhow, Billy grabbed a paper towel and crushed the spider with it.

The following morning, Andre, out of the blue, declared, "Papa took the spider."
I said, "Yes, he did."
He replied, "Papa, took the spider."
I said, "You're right, he did."

Now, I'm wondering about his sudden fixation on this spider. Was he concerned for the spider? Was he traumatized by last night's incident?

Andre repeats, "Papa took the spider."
This time I ask, "Where did papa take the spider?"
He responds, "Papa put the spider in the garbage."

And that was that. He didn't speak of the spider again. I guess he was just looking for some closure. But then again, who knows what goes on in the mind of a toddler?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andre is so smart. I'm amazed how at how well he observes things, people and everything around him. I just want to give him a big hug/kisses (and not just because I'm his aunt!).