Boy, was yesterday a doozy! I think the knowledge that my son will soon be turning three has thrown me into a panic about getting him potty-trained, like right now! After all, he will be "graduating" from the nursery into the preschool ministry, and I know how much they prefer that the little "lions" be potty-trained. In hindsight, I think I was expecting a little too much too soon. Yeah, just a bit. As if putting big boy underwear with his favorite characters on them and reminding him several times to tell mommy when he needs to potty would be enough. Needless to say, he peed in a number of inconvenient areas. (I suppose there are no convenient areas to pee except, say, in the potty). He puddled on our bed, on the living room carpet, on an upholstered bench, on a beautiful silk pillow, and on me! That's not the worst of it. The worst was how I handled the whole thing. I did not laugh hysterically like the time he vomited a fountain of puke all over my new shirt on the airplane. Nor did I run to my room, shut the door and cry as I've done before. No. I'm ashamed to say it, but I was angry and I made sure he knew it. I am grieved even as I think about it now. The poor, little thing. He always told us after the fact that he had used the potty, never before. Why should this time be any different? Of course, I had to (wanted desperately to) repent, which I did. Then I fell on my face and pleaded for the Lord to help me be gracious and patient in this potty-training battle.
May 6, 2008
Panic at the Potty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
As a fellow potty trainer in the trenches, I can totally relate. God has humbled me in this area and I've since taken on a more laid-back-follow-his-lead attitude. And as R has grown more comfortable, I've slowly added in more structure. He has been much more responsive to this approach. Good luck!
We just bought those same Marvel underwear for MJ! I just checked out a bunch of potty training videos from the library. MJ seems to be into imitating things he sees, so I hope this will help him learn. Not looking forward to the accidents :( Pray for us!
Don't lose heart, Jean! Just continue to be consistent and it really will "click" one day. Ricky was 3 1/2 until he finally got it. Plus, I've heard, and experienced that it takes boys longer to be trained in this.
Hi Jean,
Just to echo Vange's comment, don’t lose heart! It can be...no it is a challenge to train our little ones to use the potty. Continue to show love for him WHEN those accidents happen. I remember packing 2-3 outfits for the kids when we were potty training them and doing loads of laundry. On one occasion I didn’t pack anything and sure enough little CL had an accident right in front of the restroom stall at Target. She was so embarrassed because she had to walk around the store in wet clothes until I could get her new clothes off the rack. I thought to myself, “OK, I could either get really upset right now or just accept what happened and deal with it the way Christ would deal with me.” Needless to say that was her last accident. Lil’ Andre will get it eventually. I’ll be praying for all you who are in the potty training stage!
Post a Comment